Google

Old Patriot's Pen

Personal pontifications of an old geezer born 200 years too late.

NOTE The views I express on this site are mine and mine alone. Nothing I say should be construed as being "official" or the views of any group, whether I've been a member of that group or not. The advertisings on this page are from Google, and do not constitute an endorsement on my part.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States

I've been everywhere That was the title of a hit country-and-western song from the late 1950's, originally sung by Hank Snow, and made famous by Johnny Cash. I resemble that! My 26-year career in the Air Force took me to more than sixty nations on five continents - sometimes only for a few minutes, other times for as long as four years at a time. In all that travel, I also managed to find the perfect partner, help rear three children, earn more than 200 hours of college credit, write more than 3000 reports, papers, documents, pamphlets, and even a handful of novels, take about 10,000 photographs, and met a huge crowd of interesting people. I use this weblog and my personal website here to document my life, and discuss my views on subjects I find interesting.

Monday, March 19, 2007

The Tragedy of Timmy

My wife (64) and I (60) have agreed recently to be foster-parents for a young man, Timmy, age 2. Timmy was allegedly (it hasn't been proven in court yet) thrown head-first into a chair by his mother's boyfriend a couple of month ago, and was taken to the emergency room because he'd stopped breathing. Examinations at the time showed some brain damage, and bleeding behind his eyes. The boyfriend's story has changed a couple of times, but none of what he says contradicts the fact that Timmy's life was gravely endangered by physical child abuse. In the meantime, the mother lost custody of Timmy (supposedly temporarily, until she can receive some treatment herself, including parenting classes), and he was placed in foster-care. He was supposed to be placed with his fraternal grandfather, but that didn't work. We were next in line.

Why us? First, Timmy and his mother lived with us for almost six months when his mother got kicked out of an apartment she shared with another single mom. Secondly, Jean and I have been trained as therepeutic foster-parents by two different agencies, and have a 32-year old adopted son who is also brain-damaged. We know the signs, and what can be done to help.

Timmy's been with us for almost two weeks now, and we're beginning to see some subtle differences in his behavior - mostly positive signs that he's overcoming both the trauma of the injury, and the fear of the abusive behavior. He still has some neurological indications that he hasn't comletely recovered from his brain injuries, but he's doing much better.

Being a parent of a 2-year-old is fun at 20, nice at 30, possible at 40, and uncomfortable at 50. At 60, it's just plain crazy - unless it's for something like this. We'll survive, and Timmy will grow and recover in a safe, pleasant environment. Timmy takes a lot of time and energy, leaving less for all the other things we're doing, but we'll manage - God and Social Services willing!

I'll try to post updates from time to time - if I have the time to do it!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck, and we'll keep you in our prayers.

4:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I'll be sure to keep y'all in my prayers. God bless.

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home