Google

Old Patriot's Pen

Personal pontifications of an old geezer born 200 years too late.

NOTE The views I express on this site are mine and mine alone. Nothing I say should be construed as being "official" or the views of any group, whether I've been a member of that group or not. The advertisings on this page are from Google, and do not constitute an endorsement on my part.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States

I've been everywhere That was the title of a hit country-and-western song from the late 1950's, originally sung by Hank Snow, and made famous by Johnny Cash. I resemble that! My 26-year career in the Air Force took me to more than sixty nations on five continents - sometimes only for a few minutes, other times for as long as four years at a time. In all that travel, I also managed to find the perfect partner, help rear three children, earn more than 200 hours of college credit, write more than 3000 reports, papers, documents, pamphlets, and even a handful of novels, take about 10,000 photographs, and met a huge crowd of interesting people. I use this weblog and my personal website here to document my life, and discuss my views on subjects I find interesting.

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Forgot the Trip Insurance...

I spent much of yesterday afternoon going through photographs, trying to find the ones I wanted to use in my "Trip of a Lifetime" series. My head hurts!

I'm sure we're like millions of other families who have recorded every event of any significance with photographs. And, with the experience I have digging through over two boxes of my parents' photos,plus a couple from my wife's parents and grandparents, most of them aren't mounted. Even those that ARE mounted usually aren't labelled. I came across five plastic shoeboxes of negatives. I came across at least a dozen more full of photos - photos in envelopes, photos out of envelopes, photos just scattered in the bottom of the box - all mixed up, some from one year, some from a period of ten years or more.

Some ARE mounted - there are EIGHTEEN photo albums up there with photographs in them. Many of those are full, some only have a few photos. I discovered that our children have removed photos from many of those albums from time to time, and God Himself only knows where they are now...

The best guess I can come up with is that there are between 2500 and 3000 photos in my closet. About a third of those are mounted. There are probably 200 to 300 missing. My youngest daughter is 19, plans to get married in the next year, and move to Seattle. Maybe once she's gone, I'll be able to get a handle on the photographs we have in this house. I'll still try, but the best photographs are missing. Expect some, but not as many as I'd planned.

Of course, I'd also forgot that most of the pictures I took that trip were slides. We also bought slides - commercial slides - of many of the places we'd visited. We also took slides of other things, too, so we have plenty - 44 boxes of 100 each, to be exact. Kinkos tells me they'll put them on CDs for me - at 50c a slide! Unfortunately, I don't have a spare $2200 for the project at the moment!

Most places these days have websites, and I'm surprised at the number of webcams in Europe. I'll link to the relevant sites as much as possible. In the meantime, we're beginning to buy photo albums, one at a time, until we get a handle on this huge conglomerate of photos!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home