Google

Old Patriot's Pen

Personal pontifications of an old geezer born 200 years too late.

NOTE The views I express on this site are mine and mine alone. Nothing I say should be construed as being "official" or the views of any group, whether I've been a member of that group or not. The advertisings on this page are from Google, and do not constitute an endorsement on my part.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States

I've been everywhere That was the title of a hit country-and-western song from the late 1950's, originally sung by Hank Snow, and made famous by Johnny Cash. I resemble that! My 26-year career in the Air Force took me to more than sixty nations on five continents - sometimes only for a few minutes, other times for as long as four years at a time. In all that travel, I also managed to find the perfect partner, help rear three children, earn more than 200 hours of college credit, write more than 3000 reports, papers, documents, pamphlets, and even a handful of novels, take about 10,000 photographs, and met a huge crowd of interesting people. I use this weblog and my personal website here to document my life, and discuss my views on subjects I find interesting.

Sunday, April 10, 2005

"Blizzard of '05" Looks Like the Real Thing.

We get two or three "blizzard warnings" every winter. More than half the time, they turn out to be anything but true blizzard conditions. This time, however, the warning was right. It's snowing quite heavily outside, and the wind is blowing constantly, gusting to about 25 to 30 miles an hour. Here in the city there are quite a number of trees, plus buildings and several large hills to break the wind. I'm sure that the eastern plains areas are getting 50 to 60 MPH gusts. There's about 3 inches of snow in my yard, with drifts over a foot in any place that breaks the wind. Visibility is about 250 feet in blowing and drifting snow.

This weather system started as rain about 3:30AM, Mountain Daylight Savings time. It turned to snow sometime after 4:30, and has been going hot and heavy since. This is very wet, slushy snow, which is typical of spring snowstorms in Colorado. Colorado hasn't been getting these types of snowstorms over the last four or five years, which is one reason we've had a drought.

We missed the last really bad blizzard Colorado Springs had. My mother had an accident the day before Thanksgiving, 1997. We left early Thanksgiving morning for Spring, Texas. We could see the snowstorm behind us all the way to Bowie, Texas, where we stopped for the night. During that night, Bowie got several inches of rain from the storm, and it continued to rain on us all the way into the Houston area. When we returned four days later, there was still 30 inches of snow in our back yard.

This current storm is coming from a low pressure area around the Four-Corners area where Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico meet. It's slowly moving east. A Four-Corners low always brings lots of snow to the mountains. As it moves east, it brings snow to the eastern plains. We could get as much as two feet of snow from this storm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home