Google

Old Patriot's Pen

Personal pontifications of an old geezer born 200 years too late.

NOTE The views I express on this site are mine and mine alone. Nothing I say should be construed as being "official" or the views of any group, whether I've been a member of that group or not. The advertisings on this page are from Google, and do not constitute an endorsement on my part.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States

I've been everywhere That was the title of a hit country-and-western song from the late 1950's, originally sung by Hank Snow, and made famous by Johnny Cash. I resemble that! My 26-year career in the Air Force took me to more than sixty nations on five continents - sometimes only for a few minutes, other times for as long as four years at a time. In all that travel, I also managed to find the perfect partner, help rear three children, earn more than 200 hours of college credit, write more than 3000 reports, papers, documents, pamphlets, and even a handful of novels, take about 10,000 photographs, and met a huge crowd of interesting people. I use this weblog and my personal website here to document my life, and discuss my views on subjects I find interesting.

Saturday, September 25, 2004

Not just Politics

This is my personal blog, where I get to express whatever ideas I have, and talk about whatever I want to talk about. I don't plan to concentrate just on politics or the military (two areas where I have considerable interest), but on anything that strikes my fancy.

Politics is a national sport, and everyone not bogged down with just surviving is interested in it - or should be. There's no other area that has such a direct impact on how we live as politics, and it affects everyone, whether they vote or not. There are dozens of great blogs that deal exclusively with politics. I link to several of the best. I don't plan to try to compete with them, but to supplement them with my personal thoughts.

I spent half my life either on active duty with the Air Force, or living with the consequences of that duty as a retiree. What happens in the military in general, and in the Air Force specifically, is a great concern with me. There are also several hundred people I know - many I call friends - still on active duty, or retirees such as myself. Whatever happens with the military is of concern to me, and I do my best to keep up. I love the 497RTG alumni group postings on Yahoo, because I spent three tours in Germany either in that unit, or in units that worked closely with the 497th. I'd love to see the formation of a similar alumni group for the 544th Strat Intel Wing at Offutt AFB, Nebraska - another unit I spent many years with.

There are a large number of things I enjoy personally, from stamp collecting to genealogy, that I'll comment on from time to time. I post most of the information about those topics on my personal website, linked up in my "Profile". Feel free to visit whenever you wish. My wife and I also enjoy a number of similar interests, and I'll post about them from time to time as well. I'm working on a family tree for my family and part of my wife's family. I'm following these family names: Brown, Dulaney, Powell, Smith, Starnes, Thornhill, Treglown, Weatherford, and Williams, with offshoots into several hundred others. Brown, Smith, and Williams are the hardest to even try to follow!

One of the things I hope to get from this weblog is input from old friends, family, and acquaintances from the past. Another is to link with other blogs to share information and commentary. Still another is to just connect to people. I'm a disabled veteran with a bad back, some collateral nerve issues, and a tinnitus problem. The last problem mentioned, tinnitus, is the one that I find the hardest to live with. Sound - anything above a whisper - bothers me, and loud sounds trigger immense headaches and other problems. I tend to "hide out" in my basement office because of it. I really do enjoy meeting people and discussing various topics with them, but you can't do that very well from your own basement - except over the Internet. The better, unmoderated chatrooms have all but ceased to exist, and the options left are not my cup of tea. If Blogger offered a "chat" option, I'd be onboard in a minute! I'll just have to be content with the comments section of my blog for now.

Blogging won't take all my time, however. I'm also currently writing two new novels that I'll try to sell, but will post to my website if that fails. I currently have four science fiction novels there now, and have had a number of people download and read them. It's not a very successful enterprise mney-wise, but it's been a great morale booster for me to actually do it, and have people enjoy what I've done. I'll try to keep people informed about where I'm at on the novels as I go along. I had half of the murder mystery I'd written done before a computer crash wiped out 90% of it. Starting over has been hard, but I think the final result will be worth the effort.

In the meantime, today's my youngest daughter's birthday, and we're going to clean out the attic. There are some baby pictures in a box up there I want her to show her boyfriend.
(yes, I know I'm a stinker!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home